Sunday, February 15, 2015

The Dunk Contest

I waited until after All Star Saturday night to write my third blog post because I wanted to make sure I covered the festivities that took place in NYC.
For the past few years, all star Saturday night had been trending downwards, the thee point contest has been uneventful, and the dunk contest has been downright bad. No drama in the three point contest and no name players competeing in the dunk contest. It just hasn't been enjoyable to watch. I found myself missing the days of Vince Carter, Dwight Howard and Nate Robinson. Blake Griffin even. Recently, names like Jeremy Evans, and JaVale McGee haven't cut it. So as expected, my expectations were tempered for the 2015 edition. 
With young guns in the dunking field, I wasn't over the top excited, but I was anxious to see what was gonna happen. I knew these kids could dunk from college and YouTube, but could they perform on the big stage? 
Boy could they, the two that made names for themselves were Orlando Magic guard Victor Oladipo, who performed a 540 as one of his dunks. And the winner on the night, 19 year old rookie, Zach LaVine. I can't even explain the dunks he put down, you'll have to watch it on YouTube. It was astounding. He stole the show and set records for perfect scores in the first round with two 50s. I'm telling you, if you haven't seen the highlights, do it. It brought back memories of vintage Vinsanity. Oh and did I mention this kid is only 19!!! 
The dunk contest is back, and Zach LaVine brought back himself. 
Look out NBA, LaVine is here, and he isn't going anywhere for a long, long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment